This page is designed to share updates with friends and family concerning Kathleen Davey's ongoing struggle to overcome the debilitating effects she suffers from due to a cardiac arrest. Kathleen and her family appreciate your support.

Previous Posts

Archives

Links


Powered for Blogger
by Blogger templates

Getwellbean

Sunday, January 24, 2010
1/24/10
Six years today. No changes in Kathleen this past year but big changes in the girls and my lives. Its been a long road getting to this place. Thanks to everyone for your support.

February 5, 2010

TO: Kathleen the Bean

FROM: Steve Page, the oldest of the Page Brothers (who used to play basketball with Joe & Shrug at "The Park", John Mise Park.)

Subject: Hoping that you continue to remain strong every day, and that you never give up...

Hi Bean...

You probably don't remember me, but I remember you...

The last time I saw you, you were a little girl. I would dribble my basketball past your house and play at The Park, sometimes by myself, sometimes with Joe, sometimes with Shrug and Joe. Most of the time, I was on a mission to get down there as fast as possible, because I loved to play basketball. You may remember seeing my brothers and I walking or running, or riding our bikes to The Park in the summers. We were some of the Big Kids who were friends with Wendy, Megan, Joe, Shrug, and Sheila. You were like a baby sister that none of the Page Brothers had, since you were Joe and Shrug's little Bean.

On days when you didn't see me playing at the park from your front yard, I was probably playing in the gym over at Mitty, where I was known as the "gym rat". You were really little, so you don't remember this, but I would be in the gym at Mitty with Coach Fitzgerald and his talented team, and I remember very clearly that a team of very tall players from Leland, Coached by a man named Dick Davey would come to Mitty once in a while, and scrimmage. I mention this because I know that you are married to Coach Davey's son.

It was a real treat for me to be allowed to stay in the gym during those practices. It gave me something to aspire toward. I wanted to be just like them. Coach Davey, as a high school coach at Leland, like Coach Fitzgerald, were larger-than-life to me because they were the coaches of the much-taller-than-I players who were very skilled, very dedicated, and very persistent in the pursuit of the elusive attainment of excellence on the basketball court. Those coaches and their players lit a fire in me that still burns today, so it is an understatement to say that Coaches like Coach Davey have a lasting effect on peoples' lives. I admire them for the strength they and all your family have shown in such a tough time in your life.

Like you, I went to Santa Clara U, so it's great to know that your husband is Coach Davey's son. It's great to know that you have made the connection between our neighborhood and my memories of Coach Davey's Leland team playing at Mitty, and have created your own family with his son, Saratoga's Coach Mike Davey.

Your presence as a young girl in my memory as well as Coach Dick Davey's presence in my memory as the larger-than-life coach, warms me as I think about the fact that he is like a father to you today. I'm happy that you have a coach like him and his son, your husband, to help you in your daily struggle. He has helped many people over many years in their daily struggles to aspire toward excellence, although none as important as your struggle.

As you continue to improve each day, I always think of your Mom Connie, your Dad "Scooter" (Joe will remember that name and smile), and you living in a great neighborhood, with a great family, during a great time to be a child. The McGraths were, and still are, an important part of the backbone of a community which still exists, even though you cannot see it. We are all pulling for you, Bean.

Now I have my own family, and I have a daughter Erin who is 11 and a son Andrew who is 12. We live over in Pleasanton, so we don't come to the Valley much, but I still promise that we will say a prayer every night that you will never give up and that your condition will continue to improve. You are a part of our extended Queen of Apostles/Mise Park family and always will be.

We are thinking about you and praying for your recovery.

With our deepest respect, friendship, and love,
Steve Page and family  

_____________________

Steve Page, thank you for sharing your memories of Bean and the great neighborhood we grew up in. We were so fortunate to grow up in a time where we could take off for the park by ourselves in the morning and not come home until we were hungry. I remember you Page boys well—you all had blond crew cuts and were the kindest, most well-mannered boys ever! We miss Bean every day, but are so grateful to see her spirit in her daughters, who share her beauty and sense of humor. Thanks again for your comment, Steve. You made me cry, in a good way. Best to you, your family, and the other Page boys. xxoo Wendy  

_____________________

I worked at Wilson Sonsini at the same time as Kathleen. We all hoped for a miracle, and were so inspired by the love of her family and friends. I wish all of her family much happiness and peace in life.  

_____________________

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.  

_____________________

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.  

_____________________

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.  

_____________________

Post a Comment




Page Visits since 7/15/05